Monday, January 24, 2022

Cider Review: Bauman’s Cider Company's McIntosh Single Varietal

My brother-in-law asked me if it's really okay to trim apple trees in winter. It seemed to him that lopping limbs during frigid temperatures might be adding stress upon stress to a tree. I can understand why he might feel that way. This weather is hard for many of us mammals. It could seem almost like adding insult to injury to ask a living being to endure not only months of low temperatures but to heal fresh wounds at the same time. Thankfully, it’s not quite like that. We might learn a lesson from trees that go dormant this time of year. It’s okay to rest. This is a fine time of year to shed what we do not need. 

Perhaps I’ve strayed too far from a cider review, but that’s very much where I am right now. I’m running in hardcore Winter mode. I do the things I need to do and a few that warm my spirits, but mostly I’m hunkered down until days get just a bit longer. But luckily for me, I can enjoy my quasi-hibernation with some very good ciders. This week, I’m sharing my thoughts on Bauman’s Cider Company’s McIntosh Single Varietal.

Bauman’s Cider Company was named GLINTCAP’s small cidery of the year 2021. The cidery is based in Gervais Oregon. The cidery was founded on a small family farm and orchard by Christine Walter whose cider journey attempts to balance family tradition and experience with modern scientific knowledge. 

I’ve only reviewed one Bauman’s Cider before, the Mountain Rosé. It made my top ten list for 2020. This sets my expectations high.

Here’s that review: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2020/04/cider-review-baumans-cider-mountain.html

I recommend visiting Bauman’s Cider Company online to learn more: https://baumanscider.com/

Here’s the background information I was able to get online for the McIntosh Single Varietal.

    MCINTOSH SINGLE VARIETAL | 6.0% ABV

    GOLD MEDAL – 2021 INTERNATIONAL BREWING & CIDER COMPETITION (UK)

    GOLD MEDAL – 2021 PORTLAND INTERNATIONAL CIDER COMPETITION

     GOLD MEDAL – 2021 GREAT LAKES INTERNATIONAL CIDER COMPETITION

    PLATINUM MEDAL – SIP MAGAZINE BEST OF THE NORTHWEST AWARDS

    For our single varietal McIntosh Cider we started by importing McIntosh apples grown by        our friends in the Bitterroot Valley, Montana. We do minimal intervention so the essential        apple flavor shines though, as we leave just a little residual sweetness to showcase the rich        apple flavor and aroma.

Appearance: Tuscany yellow, brilliant, few bubbles

When looking at color charts for shades, this most resembles Tuscany yellow. And it does give off this sunny warmth. The cider is brilliant with few visible bubbles. 

Aromas: intense juicy apple, cherry blossom, cinnamon and peach

The McIntosh is extremely aromatic, brimming with juicy apple notes. The nose also features elements that recall cherry blossom, cinnamon and peach.

Sweetness/dryness: Semi-sweet

I’d call it semi-sweet, but some folks might interpret it as closer to semi dry. The sweetness is pleasant and well-integrated.

Flavors and drinking experience: juicy, crisp, apple, tart

This is a treat! Bauman’s Cider Company's McIntosh Single Varietal makes me glad that I chose it for today’s cider. The first impression is lots of super fresh malic acid, making each sip crisp and juicy. The cider tastes more directly like apples than many that I drink. It’s tapping into the fruity, juicy, powerful experience of a perfectly ripe McIntosh apple.

There’s more to this cider than just immediate fruitiness though. The McIntosh is mildly tannic with rough sandpaper grippiness in the texture. I love that about it. It has a clean fermentation; there’s not a whiff of funk. I appreciate the McIntosh’s medium intensity of sparkle and hefty body. This cider stays fun from tip to tail with its honeyed finish. My high expectations were met entirely!

Cheers to enjoying a good cider while not doing too much. This is a very comfy way to get through Winter.