Monday, July 22, 2024

What I Ate on Summer Vacation (Vancouver, Bellingham, and Seattle)

I returned recently from a whirlwind trip out west with stops of varying length in Seattle, Vancouver, and Bellingham. We were traveling to see family and a few friends,but I’m happy to say that we prioritized eating well also. What we found what so different than the food I know and love in upstate NY that I want to share a few highlights here. Vacation ciders are coming next, I promise. 

So, here are some of the best things I ate on my summer vacation.

Sun Bo Kong Vegetarian Restaurant: https://www.sunbokong.com/

This was my first ever experience with vegetarian Dim Sum (any Dim Sum really). I didn’t manage to get any good pictures, because once the food started flowing chaos descended. We reveled in a parade of dumplings, spring rolls, savory vegetables, stuffed buns, and delicious tiny faux chicken legs. Everything was different and moutwateringly good. Our friends know where to take visitors! Now I know that vegetarian Dim Sum is an experience to be sought out!

Mila Plant Based: https://www.milaplantbased.com/

I had the Cold Pho Salad, because conditions outside were sunny, dry, and hot. I needed something cool and refreshing. When I saw that this dish used cucumber, radish and asian pear along with udon noodles and just a hint of Birds’ Eye Chili Peppers. I don’t know if anything else I ate on the trip could rival this dish for complexity, flavor, and serving as the perfect counterpoint to an intense summer day. Both of my companions enjoyed their Dan Dan Noodles as well for the fun interplay of textures and zesty heat.

Cafe Rumba: https://caferumbabham.com/

Peruvian Yam Sandwich called a Peruano with Yam, avocado, mozzarella cheese, roasted tomato, spinach, aji huacatay, aji amarillo sauce. And we shared a small bowl of big Andean Corn Kernels, with Feta, and fresh vegetable salsa. Alex teased me for wanting potatoes as a side and as a topping, yet I remain undaunted. Ever since falling in love with La Feria in Pittsburgh, we seek out Peruvian food wherever we go, and this place is a casual gem!

Rock and Rye Oyster House:  https://www.rockrye.com/

My salmon craving was really directing us on our evening in Bellingham. The Tall one suggested a lovely narrow strip of a place in a lovely old brick building downtown. The restaurant was celebrating it’s tenth year of operation with several specials, some of which we chose for our dinner. I enjoyed the special smoked salmon with tomatoes and berries. Alex had the beet gnocchi. We shared an appetizer of Japanese street corn.

MeeT on Main: https://eatmeet.ca/main-street/

We tried loads of delightful things here including vegan poutine, Oyster Mushroom Calamari, a BBQ burger, and gnocchi with Romesco sauce. Everything was deliriously good. I tried a local cider that will be written abouNt in a future post, but having all the salty snacky comfort food as an accompaniment to good companionship and a fun cider really is hard to beat. I loved the menu, atmosphere, and palette of flavors that MeeT brought to the table!

Ignite Pizzeria in Mt. Pleasant: https://ignitepizzeria.com/

On our way into town we stopped at a cute little pizza spot for the Potato Gorgonzola Pizza. The place does stone fired pizzas, and ours had plenty of thinly sliced potato, mozzarella, loads of super flavorful gorgonzola, and just a sprinkle of rosemary. The other fun thing was trying our first ever Italian hot sauce. I’m a wimp about spice, but I love smokiness and peppers, so I was brave and tasted the Firelli Hot Sauce. It was delightfully flavorful, but I managed to handle it on a pizza simply created for such a pairing. 

Portage Bay Cafe: https://www.portagebaycafe.com/roosevelt

When I have the opportunity to order Shakshuka, I take it. That’s just a given for me. I love tomato-y, eggy, breakfasts with good bread and feta cheese. The Tall one ordered Lemon Ricotta Pancakes that included one trip to the berry bar. Yes, I said berry bar. It looked sublime. The pacific northwest is known for berries almost as much as for rainfall, so do not skip any opportunity to explore that reputation first hand. Both of our dishes came out exactly as we hoped. For me that meant rich, spicy, and hearty and for my companion it was light and fluffy sweetness. Add in eating outdoors on a lovely morning, and I’m all set. 

Believe it or not, these are just the highlights and not an exhaustive list of all of the great food finds on our trip. And I promise we did loads more than just eat. Next up, cider!