Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Cider Review: Urban Tree Hard Cider Harvest Apple

The snow is falling again, and later today I’m back to painting trim in my bathroom. And somehow it’s March? I don’t know if time is stretching out impossibly or just looping strangely. But I know folks aren’t here to read about my haphazard ruminations; it's my job to write about cider. Thankfully, the doldrums were broken recently when I received a very exciting package of cider from an familiar cider producer: Urban Tree Hard Cider.

Urban Tree Hard cider is based out of Atlanta, Georgia. I don’t hear often about cider from that region, so I’m extra curious about it! The cider operates a tasting room as well. Urban Tree has been around since 2015. The company was kind enough to share some samples with me for review, so those will be appearing over the next few months. For now, I wish they could have sent some warm temperatures and sunny skies along with the cider, but those will get here eventually.


You can learn more about Urban Tree Hard Cider online: https://www.urbantreecidery.com/


I want to start with the Harvest Apple. Here’s Urban Tree Hard Cider’s official description: 

Harvest Apple 

Modern, full bodied cider that is medium dry, complex and balanced with fresh apple aromas. 6.5% ABV


Appearance: warm, carrot-y peach, brilliant


The cider looks warm toned and carroty or peachy in color. The hue is only medium in its intensity.The Harvest Apple does bring brilliance to the glass with its shining transparence and very few visible bubbles.  


Aromas: Cinnamon, Bing cherry, and baked apples


The Harvest Apple burst out of the glass with surprising aromas.Fascinating! I know this cider doesn’t have any additives, but it smells so much like cinnamon, Bing cherries, and baked apples. The overall effect is very much like a fruity apple and cherry pie. 


Sweetness/Dryness: Semi sweet


While Urban Tree describes the cider as medium dry, I think it’s semi-sweet.


Flavors and drinking experience: powdered sugar, ripe apples, medium acid


This makes sense as a flagship cider. The Harvest Apple has a balanced presentation of medium acidity, semi-sweetness, and plenty of fruit, but no tannins. This is a middle-of-the-road cider that’s surely a crowd pleaser.


In terms of flavor notes, I can taste hints that remind me of grapes, powdered sugar, ripe apples, and fruit danish. The level of spark is medium; it doesn’t surprise me with either strength or gentleness. The body is a bit on the fuller side, but with a semi-sweet cider that’s not unexpected.


I paired this cider with a night of Trivial Pursuit and grunge music. If pairing this cider with a meal, I’d go with something spicy or very strongly flavored. This cider will hold its own even alongside something powerful.