Monday, July 19, 2021

Cider Review: Stowe Cider's Gin and Juice

I don’t even remember how long it’s been raining. This feels like the summer when everything is going to start growing moss, mold, or algae. I’m still grateful though because I remember drought summers here and elsewhere. I’ll take a damp 2 months over a real drought or even a dry hot Summer. But I do need to choose my ciders strategically in order to enjoy these gray drippy days. That’s where Stowe Cider’s Gin and Juice comes in. 

Stowe Cider is named after it’s home base, Stowe, Vermont. The cidery has a tasting room there that I’ve visited and enjoyed!

My 2016 visit to the tasting room: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-great-vermont-cider-tour-day-1.html

I’ve reviewed a few Stowe Ciders’ previously; here’s the list. You can find lots of background on the cidery in these earlier reviews. 

Juniper Sessions: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2020/11/cider-review-stowe-ciders-juniper.html

High and Dry: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2018/08/cider-review-grand-illusion-hard-cider.html

Local Infusion Snow’s Raspberry Hard Cider: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2018/03/cider-review-angry-orchard-rose-and.html

Check out Stow Cider’s website and find out about the ciders, tastingroom, and other projects: https://www.stowecider.com/home

Here’s what I could find out about the Gin and Juice

Innovation. Collaboration. Delicious Libations.

Inside the can is an act of friendship. We paired this cider with post distillation gin botanicals from Barr Hill and sweetened the deal with a touch of Suddabee’s Honey. We like them, they like us, and everyone likes what happens when we work together. 

Enjoy this cider in the spirit of Vermont - cold, and in good company. 6.9% ABV

Appearance: medium intensity, hazy, pineapple yellow, no visible bubbles

This cider just looks refreshing straight out of the can. I know cans are convenient but I love getting to know a cider’s look and aroma more intimately with a good glass. The Gin and Juice is hazy with a medium intensity of color. The shade reminds me of fresh ripe pineapple. I didn’t see any bubbles in my glass. 

Aromas: white flowers, clover honey, green grapes, and fresh apples

The Gin and Juice smells simply mouthwatering to me. I love herbal and floral notes, and this cider opens up with a waft of white flowers. I also smell clover honey which makes sense considering the use of honey. I also get notes of fresh apples and green grapes. None of the smells are overwhelming. 

Sweetness/dryness: Semi-dry

Though the cider is described as dry on Stowe’s website, the graphic representing its sweetness on the can itself indicates something in the off-dry to drier side of semi-dry. I think the cider comes across as a semi-dry. There’s some sweetness in the flavor but not enough to take over the cider. 

Flavors and drinking experience: juicy, high acid, pineapple, herbs, grapefruit, bubbly

I’m so glad that I reached for this cider. It was warm and still night. I needed something zesty and exciting to cut through the humidity. The Gin and Juicy does in fact come across as super juicy with some very exciting high acid. The acidity feels like it’s building pleasantly, even as it becomes ear curling on the finish.

The Gin and Juice tastes like herby green plants, pineapple, grapefruit and pear. It’s wet and playful: herbal and clean. The mouthfeel is almost thick with strong bubbles.

This cider goes beautifully with spicy popcorn. It didn’t need anything more elaborate.