Monday, November 28, 2022

Cider Review: Fenceline Cider's Seedling Colorado Plateau Cider

I cannot get a movie out of my head. This weekend, I watched The Menu, and I think it’s relevant to the blog. The film satirizes high end food culture on both the production and consumption sides. There are reviews, cooks, foodies, service industry lifers, and one very particular chef. It’s dark, but it’s also tremendously funny. I recommend it. I will say that I hope that my reviews convey the love and appreciation I feel for cider makers and apple growers. I know that I can’t do what you do, and I’m so grateful that you share it. If you watch The Menu, let me know what you think!

If you’re curious to read more, here’s the Internet Movie Database page for The Menu: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9764362/

Today I’m reviewing Fenceline Cider’s Seedling Colorado Plateau Cider. Yes, that’s a mouthful! This is my first ever review of Fenceline Cider. This was shared with me for review through a cider competition for which I volunteer. Many thanks!

This is what I found on the website about Fenceline Cider’s identity as a cidery. 

Rooted along the upper tributaries of the Colorado River, Fenceline was founded with a curiosity and admiration for wild and historic apples. Reviving the region’s cider traditions, our cider is crafted with cold, slow fermentation — producing a drier libation, with complex flavors, and less sugar. 

Surrounded by thousands of abandoned orchards that continue to grow in Montezuma County’s rich soil and arid climate, we are committed to upcycling the region’s heritage apples and wild, one-of-a-kind varietals into extraordinary craft cider.

You can visit the cidery online here to learn more about all of the ciders: https://www.fenceline.co/

Today I’m tasting the Seedling Colorado Plateau Cider. Here’s what Fenceline Cider has to say about it. 

Colorado Plateau Cider

The classic American cider. Cool fall days slowly ferment a refreshing and approachable, off-dry craft cider with balanced apple notes.

TASTING NOTES:  fresh, crisp, light

OFF-DRY

6.5% ABV

Appearance: hazy, warm straw, few tiny bubbles

The Seedling is nearly transparent with just the gentlest suggestion of haze. I can see a few very small bubbles, and the color is a medium intensity warm straw.

Aromas: minerals, dust, multiple acids, peach and pineapple

This cider brings scents that remind me of minerals, dust, and malic acid, but that’s not the only acid going on. There’s a bit of volatile acidity as well. These are the notes that hit first followed by ripe pineapple and peach.

Sweetness/dryness: Dry

My household disagreed a bit about the sweetness in this cider. To me, it tasted dry. The tall one agrees with the official description and calls it off dry. Either way, this cider isn’t using sweetness as a primary carrier for flavor. 

Flavors and drinking experience: wild, tangy, green apples, leather, acetic acid

The Seedling tastes untamed indeed! My first impression is one of Acetic acid and fruity tartness. The cider is sharp with tangs of wildness and a leather finish. The mid-palate reminds me of Granny Smith apples and twigs. Underneath these notes, there’s something unusual and harder to identify: maybe peanut and breadcrumb notes. It’s almost malty.

What a complex set of flavors! I keep coming back to words like wild, rustic, and funky. Though this cider might not be ideally suited to the casual cider drinker, the Seedling is likely to be a huge hit for the natural wine crowd. It certainly gives my taste buds lots of excitement and zesty stimulation.