Monday, July 31, 2023

Perry Review: Independent Perry Company's Original Dry

As I write tonight, I’m in my new favorite place. After almost three years, we have a screened in porch again. Not a lot could make me happier on long summer evenings like these. I can sit with a cat, book, cider or meal and enjoy the scents and sounds of my neighborhood without bugs! My very large and independent cat Braeburn can enjoy the outdoors without having to wear a cat harness! What could be more blissful?

I’m sharing my notes on Independent Perry Company’s Original Dry. This is my first ever cider by this perry-maker. The company is based out of Washington and entirely focused on fermenting pears into perry. Here’s some background information quote from the perry company’s website that contextualizes the perry sourcing and processing.

Sourced from orchards in the foothills of the Wenatchee Mountains, Independent crafts modern perries from fresh pressed D’Anjou Pears fermented cold and minimally processed. Using ingredients from local farms and retailers, our aim is to create unique and expressive libations to complement any special occasion.

I purchased and consumed this cider a while ago. I got it as part of my Northwest Cider Club. It's a wonderfully varied cider subscription. More information is available here: https://nwciderclub.com/

 Because this is no longer a current release by the Independent Perry Co. I wasn’t able to find a lot of information about this perry, but it is described as, “Crisp, clean & citrusy” with a 5.8% ABV. I think the closest of the current lineup would be the Sno Gem Dry, but I haven’t had the pleasure of trying the newer perries.

Here’s how to find out more about the Independent Perry Company; visit the website: https://www.independentperry.com/

Appearance: hazy, pearly, light pink, loads of bubbles

I was so surprised and delighted by this cider’s color; it’s gently hazy with a pearly pink hue. It’s also very bubbly!

Aromas: pears, minerals, powdered sugar, green apples and bananas

This perry smells like pears, minerals, powdered sugar, green apples and bananas. It’s all a primarily fruity and summery blend of vibrant fresh aromas.

Sweetness/dryness: semi-sweet

The perry tastes semi-sweet, but that can always be deceiving. This is dryer than many modern perries, but I do still perceive some sweetness.  

Flavors and drinking experience: astringent, floral, pear, tart, mildly sharp

Fun! I wasn’t quite sure what to expect based on the super saturated fruity aromas, but this has some tasty and surprising facets. I was most surprised to experience some astringence in this perry. They didn’t come without lots of accompaniment though. The perry tastes  floral, like fresh ripe pear, and still plenty tart. The perry finishes mildly sharp, and the whole experience is just lofted high with many many bubbles. 

And now back to porch relaxing. I do look forward to trying more things by the Independent Perry Company!