Monday, December 25, 2023

Top 10 Favorite Ciders in 2023

The Winter Solstice has come and gone but we’re still in the dark days of the year but hopefully accompanied by good friends and festive meals with delicious ciders. I can scarcely believe that this is my 11th year of sharing a list of my favorite ten ciders to celebrate the coming of a new year. No matter what sort of year it’s been, I do enjoy settling in to think about the ciders that have delighted and surprised me the most. 

Here are all of my earlier gatherings of favorite ciders, year by year.

Here’s a short recap of how it works. I only choose one cider per company, because my tastes are consistent enough that there would be many fewer cideries celebrated otherwise. I’m only human! My tastes belong to me, and I don’t think everyone would make the same choices. Still I want to spread the love to as many different cideries each year as I can. I can choose any cider I’ve reviewed in 2023. Lastly, I’ll quote from last year, “I want to reiterate that these are my favorites; these are just ten ciders that wowed me the most this past year.”  


Let's start with something different. For the first time, I want to give an Honorable Mention to Portland Cider Co.'s Cranberry Mule.

This cider got edged out of my top ten, but just barely. It’s also really different from the profiles I tend to like most consistently. The Cranberry Mule marries ginger spice, apple fruitiness, cranberry zing, with just a kick of lime. This is a fun seasonal that I highly recommend! 

10. Western Cider’s Dry and Dandy


The Dry and Dandy had me excited from the first whiff of aroma. I loved it’s floral bitterness, complexity, and green wood finish. 

9. Alde Cider from Hardanger


What a treat, trying two ciders from Norway! The Alde Cider from Hardanger was sweet without being simple, and I found it totally beguiling with it’s tropical fruit notes and creamy mouthfeel. 




8. Seminary Hill: Delaware Dry


Seminary Hill Cider has found a fan in me. I love the style of restrained, tannic, high acid ciders that come from this place. The Delaware Dry was utterly fantastic with it’s austere minerality and edge of bitterness. I can’t wait to taste more.

7.Aga Sideri’s Bøddel Sider


My Norwegian battle axe cider! This felt like one of the biggest unknowns when I reached for this cider and yet it was completely rewarding. It was part of our rescue from an unexpectedly snowy cold night on our visit along with Norwegian pizza. The cider brought awesome dryness, fresh fun acidity, and some complex tannins into the mix. I think this cider would be a big hit here! 


6. Big Fish Cider Co.’s Monterey Maple


This cider was part of my winter holiday celebrations with the Tall One and my father last year. I think it’s my favorite maple cider ever. It utilizes apple brandy barrels as well as maple to beautiful effect. I loved the hints of apple butter and baking spice as well as the aromas contributed by the maple and barrel.  

5. Runcible Cider's Idyll Acres


The Idyll Acres was a barrel-aged beauty I tasted this Summer. It was refreshingly dry while still managing to brim over with ripe fruit notes. Check out the full review to see the amazing list of apples that made up this sophisticated and delicious cider. 


4. Snow Capped Cider’s Dabinett


This semi-sweet cider brought gorgeous overripe apple and yeast notes to my glass and just enough funk to keep things interesting. I loved the leathery finish and high acidity.  It was a real treat with takeout Ethiopian food, but would pair well with a lot of spicy dishes!

3. Haykin Family Cider’s Method Ancestrale Jonathan 2018


This is Haykin Family Cider’s second time landing a third place spot in my favorites list, but this time it’s for their Method Ancenstrale Jonathan cider from 2018. This cider was all about acidity, ripe apple, and floral notes. It reminded me of citrus and honey in the best possible ways. Delish!

2. Troddenvale’s Countryside Farm (100% Harrison)


My dearest brought me this cider (I am so lucky), because it uses 100% Harrison apples. The scent was powerfully woody and enticing. It had a full mouthfeel, subtle barrel character, and beautiful phenolics. I guess I should stop second-guessing single varietal ciders!


1. Albemarle Ciderworks’ Brut D’Albemarle Hewes Crab


What a cider! I knew when I tasted it in September that it would be on this list, and I’m not surprised that it remained unsurpassed for the final months of the year. Ths cider managed to bring gorgeous fruitiness, tannins, and perfect bubbles together in a way that simply sang. It was a complete winner in every regard. I loved it. There is nothing like the concentration of beautiful flavor possible with skillful fermentation of crabapples! 

Looking back, this is an astonishingly strong line up. Two Virginia single-varietals at the top of my list! That tells me I might be overdue for a trip to explore Virginia cider country.

Thanks so so much, cider friends! I didn’t get to see nearly enough of you in person this year, but know that I’m so grateful for everyone in our little corner of the world. May your Winters be peaceful with time for rest and may Spring come gently this year. I hope our paths can cross in 2024. Until next time, cheers!