Monday, December 18, 2023

Cider Review: Portland Cider Co.'s Cranberry Mule


This past week, I took two and a half days for a writer’s retreat at a local non-profit: Saltonstall Foundation for the Arts. It was incredible. I wrote, edited, hiked, read and absorbed so much quiet. What a wonderful opportunity. I kept it very simple. I set a few reasonable goals for my time, downloaded a few podcast episodes related to writing and relevant research topics for the project, brought two fun reading books and one writing book with me and brought a laptop with my project. I highly recommend it or doing something like it for yourself if you want to move a project ahead and take time for yourself simultaneously. 

If you’re curious about what I’m writing, I recommend patience. It’s not cider related, but I’ve been working on the project for about 10 months so far. It still needs many stages of work, but I can now see the shape of the whole project. That feels good.

If you want to read more about Saltonstall, apply for a residency in 2024, or support their programs, please visit here: https://www.saltonstall.org/about-us/about-saltonstall/

Before I left, I knew I wanted to have a fun and complex cider with a simple snack and some Star Trek Discovery (I’m just starting the first season). I was happy to reach for Portland Cider Co.’s Cranberry Mule to accompany my spiced popcorn!

I’ve reviewed many Portland Cider Co. beverages over the years, and many of my earlier entries give more background on this Oregon cidery. Check out the full list below. 


This is where to find Portland Cider Co. online: https://www.portlandcider.com/home

Here’s how Portland Cider Co. describes the the Cranberry Mule:
Vibrant Cranberries Sparkle

Ripe cranberries, juicy lime, and a hint of fresh ginger sing in this cocktail-inspired cider. Pouring a vibrant ruby hue, every pint adds a sparkle to your festivities.

Tasting Notes
Subtle apple notes, ripe cranberry, citrus and ginger zest nose, bright lemon tang, earthy ginger, and a tart, fresh finish.

Pairing Suggestions
Roasted turkey, brie, pumpkin pie, honey baked ham, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies.
6% ABV
This is a seasonal release for them, available from November through January.




Appearance: intense brick red, bubbly, brilliant

This is a gorgeous cider! Wow! I love the deep brick red of the color. I can see some visible bubbles at the surface of the cider, but not a lot below. Still, I’m expecting some sparkle. The cider is totally brilliant. 

Aromas: cranberry, apple, rock candy, ginger, and lime

The Cranberry Mule smells not unlike I would expect. The scents are reminiscent of the cocktail that inspired the cider’s name. I get notes of cranberry, apple, rock candy, ginger, and lime.

Sweetness/Dryness: Sweet

This cider is sweet but in a juicy, fruity way that’s balanced by zesty acid!

Flavors and drinking experience: Tart cranberry, sweet apple, ginger, lime!

This is absolutely like a Cranberry Mule backed up with a sweet core of apple. I think the cidery has done exactly as they planned. I couldn’t hope for a more appealing balance of cranberry tartness, apple sweetness, with two respective kicks of ginger and lime.

The high acid and sweetness of this cider makes it work beautifully. The overall experience is fruity, bubbly and well suited for holiday revelry! The ginger comes out more with repeated sips.

While apple isn’t the central or more forward note, I do appreciate that I can consistently taste the apple in this cocktail-like cider.

This is an amazing treat with spicy popcorn!