Monday, February 12, 2024

Cider Review: Blackbird Cider Works Extra Dry Classic Wood Aged Cider

 

Last week, we had a tiny preview of Spring. It was unbelievable, and it reminded me to trust that in a couple of months Spring will arrive in earnest. The Tall One and I took a long impromptu walk, inspired by sunlight after 4pm and mild temperatures. It was a kind of magic that Winter doesn’t know. We ended up catching a lovely meal at a restaurant we’d not visited for months and months. There, I tried a Blackbird Cider Works Extra Dry Classic Wood Aged Cider.

Blackbird Cider Works is now based out of Buffalo, New York. Though it is a regional cidery, I’ve not tasted or reviewed the ciders very often. I looked and only found one previous review! I’ll put the link below.

Orchardist’s Reserve: https://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2014/10/cider-review-blackbird-ciders.html

What I will note is that Resurgence Brewing acquired Blackbird Ciderworks from Donovan Orchards as of 2023.  Here’s a link to a news story with more details about that change.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/resurgence-brewing-co-acquires-blackbird-cider-works-from-donovan-orchards-llc/

https://blackbirdciders.com/ This is currently under construction, so it might make more sense to connect with Blackbird Cider Works on social media instead.

https://www.facebook.com/blackbirdciders

https://www.instagram.com/blackbirdciderworks/

Here’s the description I could find for this cider online. 

Extra Dry Classic Wood-Aged Cider is a classic ultra-dry cider. Golden in color with apple aromatics, dry apple flavor, and just a slight hint of oak. Perfect balance between acidity and tannin, and a smooth, dry finish. 6.6% ABV. 

Appearance: slight haze, cool pale straw, few visible bubbles

This has the look of a wood-aged cider. Often that element of fermentation process lends a mild haze to the final cider. The color reminds me of an evening moon; it’s pale and cool. I don’t see a lot in the way of visible bubbles.

Aromas: minerals, pears, overripe apples, grapefruit, a bit of funk

The cider starts off with a waft of minerals followed by a parade of fruit: pear, grapefruit, and overripe apples. Somehow there’s a hint of salt. The wood aging is apparent but not super distinct. Hints of funk are present.

Dryness/sweetness: Dry

This is a dry cider. There are elements of fruit and more sweet aromas, but I don’t think the cider has a lot of residual sugar going on.

Flavors and drinking experience: sap, barrel, medium acid, low tannins, twiggy, medium bubbly

I thought I got a good idea of the wood aging from the Extra Dry’s aromas, but I was so wrong. There’s so much more to it! This cider is beautifully balanced with it’s dryness and wood aging. That’s not an easy combination to get right; too many elements can fight to be the primary driver of flavor.

Blackbird has chosen to put the wood aging forward in the Extra Dry. I think that’s a fantastic choice. What I get as I sip this are a medley of exciting flavors including: salt, tree sap, butterscotch, banana and apple. There’s plenty of barrel on the finish. The cider tastes dry throughout with medium acid and sparkle.

What little sweetness comes through has barrel and maple warmth; I’m reminded of salted butterscotch, which pairs nicely with the wintry, twiggy dryness. The cider has a medium mouthful. Tannins are low but make themselves known.
 
I paired this cider with a meal of blackened salmon served with julienned roasted root vegetables and rich creamy grits. It was a perfect seasonal combination. Highly recommended!