Monday, February 26, 2024

Cider Review: Seminary Hill Cider's SHOC Estate Reserve and some experimentation

I’m writing a bit early this week, because I’ll be traveling soon. I’m so excited to be headed for New Orleans for the first time since the 1990s! I like to take a Winter trip when I can, and I’ve longed to go back to New Orleans for a very long time. It should be a walking-heavy blend of food, spooky stuff, great food, and lots of relaxing in *fingers crossed* better weather than the end of February in upstate New York. 

This is my third entry about Seminary Hill Cider out of Callicoon, New York. This small independent cidery has been making beautiful ciders and doing tastings and events at a gorgeous environmentally focused cidery in the Catskills. Check out my earlier review and roundup to learn more about this boutique destination cidery.

Round up, in which I share short thoughts on the 2021 Beechwoods, Nicksen,  2020 Semi-Sweet Cackling Hen, Tom’s Beard, and Spy Who Came in From the Cold: https://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2023/10/cider-review-seminary-hill-cider-roundup.html

Delaware Dry (my #8 favorite cider of 2023): https://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2023/12/cider-review-seminary-hill-ciders.html

I recommend going to the Seminar Hill Cidery website to learn more about this Catskills Cidery and all of the ciders and events there: https://www.seminaryhill.co/

Appearance: brilliant, bubbly, intense nectarine

What a lovely cider. I appreciate the bubbles dancing from the bottom of my glass and ringing the liquid. The SHOC Estate Reserve delivers an intense color that reminds me of nectarine flesh. 

Aromas: peaches, ripe apples, pineapple, golden flower petals

This cider smells deliciously like peaches, pineapples, and ripe apples. Secondarily, I get a whiff of clean spring green and something connotes golden petals.

Sweetness/Dryness: Off Dry

This is a beautifully balanced off dry cider. It has enough sweetness to keep fruit to the forefront of the experience, but it’s remarkably restrained.

Flavors and drinking experience: Off dry, zingy, peachy, structured, creamy, perfumed finish

The SHOC Estate Reserve maintains its off-dry balance with off-the-charts acid, substantial tannins, and plentiful fruit notes. It comes across first as zingy and peachy. The cider develops in its midpalate into a full creamy body that remains structured by the tannins. As a potentially strange metaphor, I would say this cider lifts weights! 

I also note lots of vinous flavors and a bit of inviting earthiness. What I think I love most is how concentrated flavor remains from start to finish.  The small active bubbles and perfumed finish complete an utterly delightful beverage. This is one I’d be proud to place at the important meals of my life, but I’m also thrilled that I got to enjoy it with a simple supper the day before my trip. Good cider is for special occasions, but it’s also for everyday life. 

One last little preview of what’s to come. I’ve been doing this blog for more than ten years now, and I’ve developed a regular posting schedule and a bit of a template for posts. In the next few months, I will experiment with how Along Came a Cider shares. I’ll be posting twice a month rather than weekly. That’s so I can possibly share some original recipes using cider, write more posts about cider out in the world, my experiences at cider events, and try out some other things. I want to keep myself on my toes; suggestions are welcome.