Monday, March 11, 2024

Cider Review: Raw Cider Company's Brut Nature

I’m an introvert, and yet I love good events. It feels like a paradox. I need quiet time away from people to recover energy rather than gaining energy from time with people, but at the same time both attending or hosting many different kinds of events remains satisfying to me. I’ve been slowly reading bits of The Art of Gathering by Priya Parker, and so much of what she writes resonates with me. I’ll share one quote and then I’ll get into this week’s review. 

Why do we gather? We gather to solve problems that we can't solve on our own, we gather to celebrate, to morn, and to mark transitions. We gather to make decisions, we gather because we need one another. We gather to show strength. We gather to honor and acknowledge. We gather to build companies, and schools, and neighborhoods. We gather to welcome and we gather to say goodbye. .. But here's the great paradox of gathering. There are so many good reasons for coming together that often we don't know precisely why we're doing so. ― Priya Parker, The Art of Gathering: How We Meet and Why It Matters

I love that kind of reflective thinking and acting to deepen connections. I had the honor to attend not one but two wonderful parties this weekend. Thank you again to my hosts! And to the first of these gatherings, I brought a cider from my cellar that I thought would be pleasing to my hosts and shared it. Here’s how it went. 

I brought a bottle of Raw Cider Co.’s Brut Nature to the birthday party of a friend who just happens to be an amazing artist. She and her partner have wonderfully adventurous palates, so I wanted to bring something a bit daring for them. 

This is my first ever review for anything from Raw Cider Company. This cidery is based out of Oregon, and they focus a lot on letting nature guide their processes. 

Visit the cidery online here: https://rawcider.com/

Here’s a bit of info about the Brut Nature.

This blend of Airlie Red and Karmijn de Sonneville apples were sourced from family orchards in Oregon. We work with growers that are passionate about their produce because the best flavors come from nature. Our gift at Raw is to share these naturally cultivated flavors with you so you can enjoy them in the company of friends or a good book.

Aged on the lees for a minimum of 12 months. Bottled May 2021.

 ABV 7.5%.

Appearance: medium intensity, transparent, warm straw

The color is the classic warm straw hue that I associate with many American ciders made with heirloom apple varieties. It’s not brilliant, but neither is it hazy. I think transparent would be the right word.

Aromas: leather, salt, funky, UK cider, melon, grape leaves 

I chose this cider hoping for something a bit challenging and different, because that’s a profile I know my hosts enjoy. As I hoped, the Brute Nature smells like some Cornish ciders I had when traveling. I get notes of salt, leather, fusil oils, grape leaves, and melon.  There’s a fully present funk but it’s not out of balance.

Sweetness/dryness: Dry!

This is a dry cider! There’s a lot else going on, but it’s decidedly a dry cider.

Flavors and drinking experience: honey, pear, tannic, medium full mouthfeel, leather, medium acidity

Exactly as I hoped, this cider was a huge hit at the party. Everyone who tried it raved about the taste. I noticed notes of honey and pear. It’s very sparkling texture with some substantial tannins made it very popular. The Brute Nature offers a medium full mouthfeel with medium high acidity; the two features balance one another nicely. In terms of secondary flavore notes, I got lots of leather, some citrus, and overripe apple as well. 

Many thanks to the creative and daring friends who pulled us all together to celebrate this weekend. You've reminded me how much a good event can mean even to an introvert at heart.