Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Cider Review: Rev Nat's Hard Cider Revival Hard Apple

I hope that everyone is starting to recover from the shock of Daylight Savings Time springing forward this past weekend. Most folks I know could do without it. Personally, I love the time changing in both spring and fall. It feels like an intensification of the seasonal change I already love. Though the first morning or two can be painful, I always feel ready for longer spring evenings. Perhaps this won't convince the staunchly opposed, but today I'm raising my glass for the Daylight Savings element of spring. 


And what cider company is the most suitable for a contrarian moment or a bold opinion? I'll posit Reverent Nat's out of Portland, Oregon for that title and for today's cider. 

If you don't know why this cider suits my one-woman defense of Daylight Savings time, you need look no further than the fabulous rhetoric on the Rev. Nat's website: http://reverendnatshardcider.com

My only previous review of a Rev. Nat's cider is the Hallelujah Hopricot:
http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2015/07/cider-review-rev-nats-hallelujah.html

 Here's the introduction I found on the Rev. Nat's website, with its remarkable sense of voice and enticing details, describing the Revival hard cider:
My newest release is Revival and I couldn't be more thrilled to share it with you. I start with a secret blend of Washington-grown apples and add piloncillo, dark brown evaporated cane juice, purchased direct from Michoacan, Mexico. I ferment this dark base to all the way to dry using two exotic yeast strains: a beer yeast known for the round mouthfeel in Saisons and a rarely-used secret culture which produces aromas of pineapple, guava and peaches. This cider is brilliantly golden in color and deeply complex while remaining subtly familiar, with just the right amount of sweetness and acidity to be an everyday beverage.
Or read about the cider I'm about to review here: http://reverendnatshardcider.com/ciders/revival/


Appearance: rich red gold color, brilliant, short appearance of a head

I want everyone to notice that dark red gold color. This isn't usual for a cider made from dessert apples. The Revival pours with a loose lacy head that dissipates. As the photo shows, its brilliant.

Aromas: overripe apples, lychee, dust, yeast

Whoa whoa whoa, how very pleasant and fruity smelling! The Revival smells like it might be apples barely heated by the sun, along with lychee and just a hint of bready beer yeast. Yummy yummy smells.

Sweetness: semi-sweet

Something to be aware of when looking for this cider. Rev Nat's makes both a Revival and Revival Dry, be sure to purchase the one you wish to try. I've enjoyed both but the Revival is a semi-sweet cider and very different from the Revival Dry.

Flavors: tropical, apple, nice mouth feel

If this cider is not the apex of quality plus easy drinking appeal, I'm not sure I understand it. Perhaps an overstatement, but the Revival is so approachable and delectable without giving up interesting character. Part of what makes the cider interesting is that it definitely uses a beer yeast which builds dimension in both aromas and flavors. But on the side of simplicity and ease, the Revival is very appley with some tropical fruit notes.

This is just such a relaxing cider. The Revival introduces itself as bright and tart with fairly high acid. But mellows in the mouth. I like the mouthfeel even with a relatively low level of tannins.

The Revival was simply perfect with veggie pot pie, which is not just for Pi(e) day! Something about the semi-sweet just packed to the gills with tropical flavor brought the dish out of winter cold and into spring.  Delicious, delightful, and daring