Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Cider Review: Snow Capped Cider's Gold Rush

Spring feels like it's slower than surely it has ever been before. Chances are that feeling is an illusion, and I’ve accused other springs of being unbearably slow before. I will say that I went looking to buy lilac bushes at a plant nursery yesterday, and it snowed. I’ve never had to clear plant tags of snow to be able to read them before. Still, I can see the sun out my window and there are crocus blooming in my yard. It's enough to give me a bit more hope that Spring will show its sweetness soon. And I can cook cozy meals and enjoy lovely ciders at home in the meantime.

Today I’m sharing my thoughts on Snow Capped Cider’s Gold Rush. The company comes from Colorado, and that explains the name of this particular cider. I’m used to Gold Rush being an apple name, but in this case it’s a reference to the historical happening in the American west. The cider’s description tells us more about what apples it uses. This was shared with me for review by Snow Capped Cider.

I’ve only reviewed one Snow Capped Cider thus far. Here’s what I had to say about the Harrison Reserve: http://alongcameacider.blogspot.com/2021/12/cider-review-snow-capped-cider-harrison.html

You can visit Snow Capped Cider online here: https://snowcappedcider.com/

Here’s what the cidery has to say about the Gold Rush.

The Colorado Gold Rush is back. Coveted cider apples deliver with brilliant golden hue, tantalizing ripe fruit character. Clean quintessential medium tannin’s only produced from English and French varietals. Panning with complexity and a striking rich mouthfeel, Sweetness is found upfront leading to off dry semi sparkling finish. Colorado grown cider apples bring a whole new meaning to cider in a can. Crafted with a century old fruit growing family’s perspective, pressed and slow fermented with no added sugar.

ABV 6.9%

Appearance: brilliant, very few visible bubbles, intense antique gold

The color of this cider reminds me of what schools call antique gold; it’s a sort of harvest yellow, and the Gold Rush has it in spades. The cider has very few visible bubbles but a brilliant clarity.

Aromas: Minerals and soft mushy apples

I appreciate the sense of minerals and softened overripe apples that both waft from the Gold Rush. These notes contrast each other but are well counter-balanced.

Sweetness/dryness: Semi-sweet

The Gold Rush is a semi-sweet cider that feels completely natural and appealing in its sweetness.

Flavors and drinking experience: mellow, medium acid, strong fizz, melon and cantaloupe 

This was such a hit! I shared this cider with my dining companions who both loved it. The consensus was that Gold Rush’s medium high acidity kept it exciting without foregoing a certain mellow and easy-drinking quality. The flavor notes I noticed most strongly are ripe melon and cantaloupe. This cider is very good! I appreciate it’s strong sparkle and sweet boozy finish. I didn't taste much in the way of tannins.

We paired the Gold Rush with black bean burgers and sweet potato fries. The combination was a delight. I like a sparkling cider with fries of any kind, but pairing a semi-sweet cider with sweet potato fries was especially nice. To me, this cider feels enjoyable and casual for this sort of supper.